This is my nineteenth Top Ten Tuesday post. Top Ten Tuesday was created and is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week is a Top Ten Tuesday Rewind, which means we can pick any of the topics from the past that we missed. I’ve chosen:
Photo by Sharon Mollerus
Top Ten Favourite Places To Read
1. On/in my bed – I love reading whilst stretching out on my own comfy bed, wrapped in my duvet or lying on my pillows, or even sitting up against the headboard cushion my mum made me from a broken memory foam mattress topper. It’s probably my favourite place to read – especially if no-one’s in so I’m surrounded by peace and quiet!
2. On a train – I pass the time on public transport by getting a book out and slipping into another world. Whole tube lines pass by in what feels like the blink of an eye and sometimes I’m a little disappointed to reach my stop and have to put the book away.
3. At the library – I always think it feels kind of magical to be reading a book whilst surrounded by hundreds more books, and some of my local libraries have really comfy seats.
4. Outside the Tate Modern in the summer – I’m terrified of buzzing stinging things so there’s pretty much only one place in the entire world where I can read outside – the Tate Modern. There are no flowers, just grass and trees, so the wasps and bees stay away. I do need to stay in the shade though to avoid sunburn!
5. In a windowseat – I’ve only done this a couple of times in my life, but sitting in a windowseat whilst reading makes me feel like a character in a historical novel!
6. On the floor in a big pile of cushions – when I was a kid I used to like throwing all the cushions in my living room onto the floor, and then lying on top of them to read. I can’t imagine that my mum was best pleased.
7. In the bath – when I have a bath, I like to take at least two books into the bathroom with me, plus notebook and pens, and I keep towels handy so that I don’t risk touching a book with wet fingers.
8. In a queue – whilst everyone else looks bored and frustrated, I take the time to get some reading done, and become the most chilled out person in the queue.
9. At work on a lunch break – reading on a lunch break is so refreshing, helping me relax and also reinvigorating my mind for the afternooon ahead.
10. In a café – I love the whole experience – reading in a comfy chair at a little table, with tea or hot chocolate, soup, sandwich or cake, occasionally glancing up to people-watch or listen to the conversations around me.
What are your favourite places to read?
Kristin22nd April 2013 at 11:28 pm
When I was a kid and we were moving my parents ask me what I wanted my room to be like and I had one request! I said all I wanted was a windowseat! And I absolutely loved it… miss it! Great list x
Julianne24th April 2013 at 12:39 am
Wow! That is so cool that you had your own windowseat. Thanks 🙂